Solved

Supply Chain Optimization Warning: Duplicate row errors leading to non-unique shadow prices

• 28 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi! I’m doing a supply chain optimization using AIMMS for my master project and I have a problem with my binary determinant variable as well as the result error computed. Since this is my first time using AIMMS, I am not sure on how to debug it.

The constraint of my binary is X(i,l,g,g2) + X(i,l,g2,g) ; where g≠g2.

After I run the program, it says

Warning: The rows "TransportationBinary(liquid hydrogen,truck,g1,g3)" and "TransportationBinary(liquid hydrogen,truck,g3,g1)" are equal in the generated mathematical program "MinimizeDailyCost".  This may lead to non-unique shadow prices.  For more information regarding potential causes and consequences, see the help associated with the option "Warning_duplicate_row".

Can anyone help me explain what is the problem? I am also confuse on which section to declare the g≠g2 in the transportation constraint (g represents the grid squares/ supply demand location).

Appreciate your help!

icon

Best answer by deannezhang 29 April 2022, 05:06

View original

7 replies

Badge

Hi @gabiservidone and @deannezhang ! First of all I just wanted to apologize for the late reply. I just recovered from dengue fever and was able to work on my problem this week. I feel obliged to let you both know that the program works as it gives me numerical results after I adjusted the TDC and objective function. Thank you so much! 😄

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Hazirah, you are seeing “Nonbasic” because your model has 0 as the best solution. For now, X has no ‘reason’ to be 1, since if it is 0 to all indexes, the three contraints are good. 

Other note, TDC is empty, you need to set the objective function for the solve to run properly. With an objective function defined, I think you will start to see values for all the variables. 

Let us know if it worked!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I see. I suspect you looked at the data page of the constraint, instead the data of the variable. Would you check?

Badge

I see. There are no other error or constraints violated after you’ve help given the solutions earlier. I was actually expecting AIMMS to give me numerical results on the Q(i,l,g,g2) variable (flow rate of hydrogen produced) but instead it only states “nonbasic” solution for the variable. So I am trying to explore other ways to find a different solution. Thank you again :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Separating the orginal euqation to two constraints looks good to me. Do you get any unexpected solution? Like some of the constraints are violated?

Badge

From what your described, 

row TransportationBinary(liquid hydrogen,truck,g1,g3) looks like:

X(liquid hydrogen,truck,g1,g3) + X(liquid hydrogen,truck,g3,g1)  ...

row TransportationBinary(liquid hydrogen,truck,g3,g1) looks like:

X(liquid hydrogen,truck,g3,g1) + X(liquid hydrogen,truck,g1,g3) …

so they are symmetrical.

Since you only need one of them, you can add a domain condition at the constraint index domain:

Constraint : TransportationBinary

Index domain: (i,l,g,g2) |ord(g)>ord(g2)

“|” is the condition operator, followed by the boolean formualtion. 

And for your question to have condition of g≠g2, for example on variable x, you can add index domain as well

Variable : X

Index domain: (i,l,g,g2) | g <> g2

Hope this helps

Thank you so much! Your suggestion helps in solving the error! I have one more question, for a constraint;

Qmin(i,l)*X(i,l,g,g2) <= Q(i,l,g,g2) ← Qmax(i,l)*X(i,l,g,g2) ∀(i,l,g,g2) ; g≠g2 (Transportation Constraint)

how do I write it down in the constraint definition? Because when I key in the whole equation as above, it states

“in an inclusion only the middle term is allowed to contain variables, however in the inclusion Qmin(i,l)*X(i,l,g,g2) $ X. domain (g,g2) <= Q(i,l,g,g2) $ Q. domain (g,g2) <= Qmax(i,l)*X(i,l,g,g2) $ X.domain(g,g2) the left term contains variables.”

For now I separate the Qmin and Qmax equation into two constraints but the solution given is nonbasic [for Q(i,l,g,g2) variable]. So I was wondering if I put it in one constraint would it give me a different solution. Hope you can help! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

From what your described, 

row TransportationBinary(liquid hydrogen,truck,g1,g3) looks like:

X(liquid hydrogen,truck,g1,g3) + X(liquid hydrogen,truck,g3,g1)  ...

row TransportationBinary(liquid hydrogen,truck,g3,g1) looks like:

X(liquid hydrogen,truck,g3,g1) + X(liquid hydrogen,truck,g1,g3) …

so they are symmetrical.

Since you only need one of them, you can add a domain condition at the constraint index domain:

Constraint : TransportationBinary

Index domain: (i,l,g,g2) |ord(g)>ord(g2)

“|” is the condition operator, followed by the boolean formualtion. 

And for your question to have condition of g≠g2, for example on variable x, you can add index domain as well

Variable : X

Index domain: (i,l,g,g2) | g <> g2

Hope this helps

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator