Solved

Can you disable the csv download in the WebUI?

• 23 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
In our app we use excel upload and downloads such that users are able to change and distribute data more easily. So we have written procedures that write and read excel files for the data in the app. With the new widget actions, it seems most logical to also place these download and upload actions there. But there is still an option to download the data as a .csv file. As not to confuse any users which download they should use, I would like to disable the option of downloading as a .csv file for certain tables. Is there a way to disable this feature?
icon

Best answer by Gertjan 23 July 2019, 17:24

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi @Guus Kattenbelt ,

You can modify the WebUI easily via css styling. For your case you can simply disable the button for downloading via a css file as follows:

Add a css file to the project folder \MainProject\WebUI\resources\css\,
Let's name it disableDownload.css

Add the following content to this file:
code:
download-data-button.icon-download2{
display: none;
}

As a result all the download buttons of the widgets in your app are gone.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
For those people who want to disable the Data Management in the webUI and can't wait for the option to be released, can disable it with the following css code:
code:
.sidebar-view-button.data-management-addon{
display: none;
}
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
FYI This will be an option soon in AIMMS that you can set per Table (thus also via an identifier is you prefer); it's being developed this sprint, so you can expect it in 4.69.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Thanks @Paulus and @Gertjan for your answers. It is not that urgent at the moment, so I think I will wait for 4.69 to come out.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Let me add, we also currently also doing the same for the Data Manager option. This is handy for those Apps that do not depend on case files; eg the ones that have CDM (Collaborative Data Management) as basis for their Apps.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I would like to have both options. I can see for smaller apps that you might want to disable it for all tables in an app.
But currently in the app I wanted it for, we have quite some download/upload procedures for the input part of the app. To avoid confusion, I would like to disable the csv downloads there. But for output tables we have not (yet) made any download procedures (as this also takes time and is not that important), so there I would like to keep the csv option, if a user really wants to extract it to an excel for some reason. So for this app, the per table switch would really help.

And the hierarchy indeed sounds like the logical way to do it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Question: We currently have - as mentioned - internally developed the CSV download option "Show/NoShow" per Table. Also got some in-sprint feedback to do this on App level so it is App wide (the custom CSS does it App wide). Any feedback on this? Would that even be sufficient and can we remove the per Table option? Possibly even change the default values.

BTW: If App level is offered next to a Per Table; there needs to be a hierarchy. We would say: If App level is set to "NoShow" (default is Show) it will overwrite all per Table settings regardless of its value.

Love to hear your feedback/ideas.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator