Warning: Model status 13: Error no solution, Solver status 9: Error: Setup failure (see message window).

• 22 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello everyone,

Trust you are doing well?

I am presently working on an academic research that involves optimal sizing of energy systems using AIMMS academic license. 

I have the message in bold print below displayed on the warning bar while the picture attached is the snapshot of the progress window. 

Warning: Model status 13: Error no solution, Solver status 9: Error: Setup failure (see message window).

Kindly support. 

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Sorry, my mistake. CPLEX cannot handle non-convex QCP models (but it can handle non-convex QP models, after setting the ‘Solution target’ option). A quadratic equality constraint makes the model non-convex.

The solver Gurobi can handle non-convex QCP models but running Gurobi in AIMMS is a bit more hassle because you have to request a Gurobi license from Gurobi Optimization (free for academics). Please note that to solve a non-convex QCP (or QP) you have to set the Gurobi option ‘Nonconvex strategy’ to ‘Translate’.

An alternative is Octeract, which is a global nonlinear solver. Octeract is available as part of the free AIMMS Academic License.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thank you Marcel,

I did but still giving error message. 

Warning: Model status 13: Error no solution, Solver status 9: Error: Setup failure.
Warning at line 1 in user-defined function section "MainExecution":
Model status 13: Error no solution, Solver status 9: Error: Setup failure.
CPLEX error: CPLEX cannot handle QCP models with quadratic equality constraints like 'Zero_Constraint(01)'
Warning: Model status 13: Error no solution, Solver status 9: Error: Setup failure.
CPLEX error: CPLEX cannot handle QCP models with quadratic equality constraints like 'Zero_Constraint(01)'

Thank you. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @Lawrence. The Message Window will likely show that your QCP model is non-convex. To solve non-convex QCP models with CPLEX you have to set the CPLEX option ‘Solution target’ to ‘Search for global optimum’.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator