Solved

Terminated by The Solver

• 26 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am solving a huge MIP (4446310 integer variables). I set the relative gap to 0% from CPLEX MIP settings. After 69532.16 sec (19.3 hours), the model stops running and the solver status says 'Terminated by solver' while the gap is 0.14%. Why does this happen? What are the possible causes? Thank you.

Best regards,

Wanie Saidi

icon

Best answer by Marcel Hunting 26 April 2024, 11:09

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

HI @Wanie Saidi. Probably CPLEX ran out of memory. I strongly recommend to print the CPLEX status file by setting the following options:

• Solvers General option 'Solver listing messages' to 'All'
  • CPLEX option 'MIP display' to 'Nth node + info on node cuts'
  • CPLEX option 'Parameter display' to 'Yes'

The CPLEX status file will be printed in the log folder. It contains useful information about the solving process. See also this topic.

Badge

Thank you @Marcel Hunting for the recommendations. I’d like to understand if this issue is solely due to CPLEX running out of memory, or if there might be other factors contributing to the problem. Could you provide further insights into possible alternative causes that could lead to the issues?

Best regards,
Wanie Saidi

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @Wanie Saidi. The only realistic possible cause that I see is lack of memory (or lack of disk space, if the node file is written on disk). The CPLEX status file should tell you more.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator