Running Python, R and other services on the AIMMS Cloud Platform

Related products: Integrations and Data Exchange AIMMS PRO and Cloud Platform

Starting with AIMMS version 24.1 you can now run Python, R and other services on the AIMMS Cloud Platform.

What?

• You can bring your own Python or R script and extend your AIMMS model to run it.
  • We will run the service for you, provisioning the required Azure resources.
  • Running a Python or R image in a separate Docker container. 
  • Currently one Python and one R image, but we will extend the collection as the demand grows.
  • AIMMS Cloud Platform only.

Why?

We wanted to make it super easy for you to extend your AIMMS model with Python scripts or R scripts, so that you can ‘outsouce’ calculations where these scripting languages and their libraries would add value.

And we believe we are making this easier by saving you the trouble of having to arrange deployment of a Python or R image. 

Pricing?

Until the end of June 2024 we will provision this service as ‘free-of-extra-charge’.

Once we learn more from you about your use cases, we will set the pricing for 1 July 2024 onwards. You can earn discounts by giving us your feedback!  

Documentation?

Reference documentation

Develop a Python service and integrate it into AIMMS 

Excited about how this can ease deployment of code to extend AIMMS.  Some questions from playing around with it.

How to troubleshoot?

If a service does not launch, how can we get feedback on what may be wrong? Currently we receive a 0 return value from pro::LaunchService with no further information.

Are the preconfigured images available outside AIMMS Pro cloud, so we can run them locally for testing? This would help a lot in shortening the troubleshooting cycle

Available images?

The available images sound like modified images. Is there a technical requirement for that or will we be able to use/request ‘standard’ images?

Will we eventually be able to use our own container images?

Martijn, thanks for your questions. Exactly the kind of feedback that will help us improve this feature. 

• For 'how can we troubleshoot’, I will ask a colleague from User Support to contact you.
  • I will ask the developers about making the pre-configured Python images available outside the cloud so you can test locally.
  • I will also talk about 'bringing your own container image’.

Item 2 and 3 will take a little longer to answer, probably. Item 1 I will put into motion today. I hope that is OK for you.

Kind regards,

Jan-Willem

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator