solving intermediate non-optimal

• 20 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Our model exists of 7 optimizations. However, after the 6th optimization it says that it is terminated by the solver, and it ended up in intermediate non-optimal. What does this mean? Did it end up in a local minimum? Or does it mean something else. Can the results be trusted? If not, how can I solve this?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies

Hi @Toine,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, we will try this!

Kind regards,

Eline

Badge

Hi @ElineOoms

A quick follow up: Currently, CPLEX Barrier crossover is disabled for your model. You could try enabling crossover: 

Settings > Project options > Specific solvers > CPLEX > General > Solution type = Automatic or Basic

Barrier crossover is disabled if the Solution type is set to Non-basic.

Best regards, 

Toine

Badge

Hi @ElineOoms

Enabling the AIMMS scaling tool could be a solution to your problem. This tool is designed eliminate numerical instabilities in your mathematical program. 

You can enable this tool by going to: 

Settings > Project options > Solvers general > Scaling > Scale model

There you can also find more information about the scaling tool, by going to 'Help'.  
Additionally, there is a post about the scaling tool on the Community: https://community.aimms.com/what-s-new-at-aimms-26/marcel-hunting-on-the-aimms-scaling-tool-718

Best regards, 

Toine

Hi @Marcel Hunting,

Thank you for the suggestions. I put the logging on (for a run with other inputs, however this run also ends up in intermediate non-optimal) and this is the file I get. It states:

A solution is available, but not proved optimal, due to numeric difficulties during optimization with CPLEX.
A solution is available, but not proved optimal, due to numeric difficulties during the optimization.

How can I avoid these numeric difficulties?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @ElineOoms To find out what it means you should enable CPLEX logging by setting the following options:

• Solvers General option 'Solver listing messages' to 'All'
  • CPLEX option 'Barrier display' to 'Normal' or ‘Diagnostics’

If you then rerun the model, CPLEX will create a status file in the log folder. If you need help with understanding this status file then please copy it here.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator