Solved

conditional constraint

• 5 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Dear All,

I want to model a conditional constraint of:

where QUR, QP, QT, and Gpv are variables, and load and Qmin are parameters. t is time index.

How to implement this function in AIMMS?
Thank You.

icon

Best answer by Marcel Hunting 7 April 2022, 15:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @rahmat. What should QUR(t+1) be if Gpv(t) >= load(t) and QUR(t) > Qmin(t), or Gpv(t) < load(t) and QUR(t) <= Qmin(t)?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello @Marcel Hunting,

The complete formulation of the constraint is:

Thank you...

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

This is going to be ugly. Assuming that these are the only 5 options for QUR(t+1) (although not all possible combinations of Gpv(t) and QUR(t) are covered) you can use indicator constraints if you use CPLEX or Gurobi.

Introduce a new binary variable BV1(t) for the first option. Then add the following indicator constraints:

BV1(t) = 1  →  QUR(t+1) = QUR(t) + QP(t)
BV1(t) = 1  →  Gpv(t) >= load(t)
BV1(t) = 1  →  QUR(t) <= Qmin(t)

The left part of each of these constraints represents the activating condition.

For the second option introduce a new binary variable BV2(t) and the following indicator constraints:

BV2(t) = 1  →  QUR(t+1) = QUR(t) - QT(t)
BV2(t) = 1  →  Gpv(t) <= load(t) - eps
BV2(t) = 1  →  QUR(t) >= Qmin(t) + eps

AIMMS does not support inequality constraints of type ‘>’ or ‘<’ (except for CP problems) so you have to use a small value eps to transform them into ‘>=’ or ‘<=’ respectively.

In the same way, introduce BV3(t), BV4(t) and BV5(t) for the other three options, plus the corresponding indicator constraints.Then, finally, add the following constraint:

BV1(t) + BV2(t) + BV3(t) + BV4(t) + BV5(t) = 1

Note that this formulation does not allow, e.g., Gpv(t) >= load(t) and Qmin(t) < QUR(t) < Qmax(t). If that should be possible as well then this is not going to work (but what should then be the value of QUR(t+1)?).

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello @Marcel Hunting ,

Thank you for the advice that has been given. I'll try to apply to the model I'm designing.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator