Solved

Reporting the contents of the Progress window

• 20 February 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I would like to report the contents of the Progress window such as the number of variables, parameters, non-zeros, objective function, solve-time, used method, etc. to a customized log file in a preferably .txt or .xlsx file formats.

My goal is to have separate log files for each run so I can analyze specific parameters,  e.g. the relation between objective function, solver method, and solving time. 

I already found a way, in which the solver (I use Gurobi) writes this information together with a specific number of solving iterations to a log file in the log folder. This method has two major drawbacks for me:

First, with every run, the new log will be added to the older log in the same .txt file. So I have to exit the AIMMS after each run to have separate log files!

Second, there is a lot of information in this log file that I have no interest in. So I need to write an algorithm in a third-party application to fish the needed values.

Are you aware of any method to achieve my goal without facing those drawbacks? 

p.s. I use the developer version with the educational license. 

icon

Best answer by Gertjan 23 February 2020, 16:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @afattahi.

Maybe you could create your own log file.

For instance, you can access math model information using this sentence:

parameter_NumberOfConstraints := yourMathProgram.NumberOfConstraints;

you can also use advanced functions: Aimms GMP functions.

You can create the file and print parameter_NumberOfConstraints within model instances loop, hence you would have one log for each instance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

The link below brings you to a chapter that explains how you can create complete custom reports. This could contain the items you mentioned above (and more).

https://download.aimms.com/aimms/download/manuals/AIMMS3LR_TextReportsAndListings.pdf

Of course there are also file manipulation functions (create, copy, delete etc) that allows you to set aside such a file for each run.

https://documentation.aimms.com/functionreference/system-interaction/file-and-directory-functions/index.html

Instead of (or next to) pushing them to a text reports, you can also store the results in an identifier with a scenario-index. This way you can also analyze (average, min, max, trends etc) and visualize the results in the graphical UI.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks to @Gertjan, after reading the first link, now I know how to make a custom log file. I realized that the main barrier for me is to find the name of my desired identifiers for reporting. 

@mateusarakawa Thank you so much. Using your insight, now I can write my desired math program identifiers into my excel sheet report. I found the complete list of math program suffices in the "AIMMS The Language Reference". 

However, I cannot find the list of Project Options-related identifiers such as project title, solver name, and solver specific (Cplex or Gurobi) options. I already tried using " option.method " or " 'Gurobi 8.1’.method " identifiers but they do not work. 

Moreover, I could not find the name of identifiers for some information on the Progress window such as Total Time, Memory Used, and Model Type. 

Do you know how/where can I generate/find the list of the mentioned identifiers?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi, @afattahi. Glad that things are working out.

I think you can find most of your information under GMP::Solution:: (memory, time)

• Solver name: Inside your instances loop you can set the solver that will be used to optimize and log it. Set default solver
  • Solver specific options: You can find them within the project options window, and you can change them also inside your instances loop and log it:

StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC := “Automatic”;

OptionSetString(ElementParanter_YourSolver + "::MIP_method",StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC);

Procedure_Log(“Method: “ + StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC);

• Regarding memory, there are other alternatives: AIMMS provides a native function MemoryInUse, but if I recall correctly it is the total memory reported by the operation system. There is other function MemoryStatistcs, please take a look at it, if previous fuctions don’t help you.
  • Project title: you can get it using function OptionGetString(“Project title”,YouStringParameter_ProjectTitle);
  • Regarding time you can also log your code using CurrentToString function.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @mateusarakawa ,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, it was very helpful. For other interested people I will summarize what I did:

• I used GMP instead of simple SOLVE function in order to be able to call specific identifiers such as: 
    • GMP::Solution::GetMemoryUsed for Peak Memory
    • GMP::Solution::GetTimeUsed for Solving Time
    • GMP::Solution::GetIterationsUsed for Number of Iterations
    • GMP::Instance::GetNumberOfRows for Number of Constraints
    • GMP::Instance::GetNumberOfColumns for Number of Variables
    • etc.
  • I created a StopWatch in my main procedure to calculate the Total Solve Time. Take a look at Creating StopWatch in AIMMS to time execution if your're interested. 
  • I used MemoryInUse() function to report Used Memory.

For Project Options, I got a bit confused (Sorry, I am very new to AIMMS). I tried the identifiers that you mentioned(StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC), but I could not retrieve any value. It would be great if I find out that in general, how can I call/get any project option value that I want (both general options and solver specific options)?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@afattahi 

I tried the identifiers that you mentioned(StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC), but I could not retrieve any value.

What Mateus described in https://community.aimms.com/aimms-developer-12/reporting-the-contents-of-the-progress-window-548#post1388 is, 

Declare a string parameter named StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC and use that to assign values to options. Like in the code, 

StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC := “Automatic”;

OptionSetString(ElementParanter_YourSolver + "::MIP_method",StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC);

First, you are updating value of StringParameter_CPLEX_MIP_METHOD_AUTOMATIC as “Automatic”, then using that string parameter to set the option value using the function OptionSetString. 

The below code is equivalent but by using a string parameter, you are storing the value “Automatic” and (re)using it in multiple places - first setting the option value and then logging that information. 

OptionSetString(ElementParanter_YourSolver + "::MIP_method",”Automatic”);

but I could not retrieve any value. It would be great if I find out that in general, how can I call/get any project option value that I want (both general options and solver specific options)?

To retrieve option values, you can use the functions OptionGetString or OptionGetValue. There are other functions as well, read more here: https://documentation.aimms.com/functionreference/system-interaction/option-manipulation/index.html

You can lookup the data of predeclared set AllOptions to find the exact option name. 

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator