Solved

Is it possible to develop locally but solve using the PRO cloud solver session?

• 28 September 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

As the title of this question indicates, I am looking to work in developer, but send the solve statement to a pro solver session. (And retrieve the results of course)

Two main reasons for this are:

• In that way my laptop will not be taxed (and overwhelmed) by the models that I am developing
  • In this developing stage I gather date from a database that is not connected to our PRO environment

A workaround that does work is to publish the app including relevant data (as a case to the app). However this is a rather inflexible way of developing.

As an extra detail, at this point in time my machine cannot generate and solve the instance in reasonable time, while my described workaround takes a little under 2 minutes.

icon

Best answer by mohansx 30 September 2021, 01:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello @LowBjorn 

I understand your requirement but I want to clarify that this is not a recommended best practice. The AIMMS Cloud platform is not designed to be a large compute resource (say, like a VM with high memory and CPU clockspeed) but is designed to solve multiple instances of a problem of known size (scale horizontally). We recommend that you acquire a workstation/VM with enough compute resources  and install AIMMS Developer on this machine to solve your model or experiment to figure out how much memory/cpu is required to solve this model. 

That said, it is possible to use the AIMMS Cloud / PRO platform for solving a model from an AIMMS Developer instance. 

Relevant documentation is here: Debugging PRO-enabled Projects — AIMMS Documentation

You need to create a file with name ‘pro_arguments.txt’ with contents as described in the documentation and place it in the root folder of your project. When you open the project, you will get prompts to enter the user_id/password for the PRO platform, and if you want to send all delegateToServer procedures to the server or not. 

The best way to generate this ‘pro_arguments.txt’ is to publish a WinUI app on your PRO platform and launch it from your computer. Then navigate to the below path to find a ‘pro_arguments.txt’ file. Adapt that as needed and use it in your project. 

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\AIMMS\PRO\your_pro_platform\your_app_name\some_long_alphanumeric_string

Userlevel 1
Badge

@mohansx Thanks for the detailed answer!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator