Removal of Internet Explorer 11 Support

• 3 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Dear community of AIMMS WebUI Users,

With the upcoming end of life of Windows 7 (Jan 14, 2020), all Windows users should by now be on Windows 10 or higher and therefore have the Edge browser available as the primary browser. During our development of the AIMMS WebUI, Internet Explorer 11 support has always been an expensive and tedious task and a burden to innovate fast (and we are not the only software company facing this). Therefore, we are removing the support for Internet Explorer 11 and ask you to use the Edge browser to run AIMMS WebApps as of January 2020.

If you have the choice, we still recommend the Chrome browser as the preferred browser. 

We are making this decision based on the support tables of Microsoft and the wish to free up expensive developers time to support old technology. However, we also are aware that possibly a small group of customers might not be ready to give up Internet Explorer 11. If so, we love to hear from you.

PS: For accuracy, I should have mentioned Windows 8 as well, but that seemed to have never been really adopted (rate is <5%). Hence, the reference is to the typical upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

No problems for us.

Scott Bury

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi, @Gertjan.

I think some users from our collaborative webUI app use IE11 through Citrix Metaframe, ‘cause currently it’s the only browser available on it. I’ll check with them tomorrow and I’ll let you know.

From our side, we always pick Chrome! Thanks for the info.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Gertjan,

We always advice our customers to use Chrome for the apps we develop and most of them do. One is using IE11 through Citrix, but is striving to use Edge or Chrome in the near future.

So no problem for us to move away from IE11

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi, @Gertjan.

I think some users from our collaborative webUI app use IE11 through Citrix Metaframe, ‘cause currently it’s the only browser available on it. I’ll check with them tomorrow and I’ll let you know.

Hi, @Gertjan.

Just to update you, I talked with the IT team from this specific customer and unfortunately they have no plans to upgrade IE11 to Edge or Chrome within Citrix, because it incurs additional costs.

I think, in short term, we won’t be able to use new releases of Aimms webUI there, right? Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@mateusarakawa, you can of course use updates, it might however be that issues start to appear in IE 11. All software so far has been tested and in cases we needed to adjust specifically for IE11; going forward, we won’t do the latter. So my suggestion, try it out and in the mean time I sure hope that your customer will move up soon despite cost (keeping IT up to date seems to me an important responsibility of IT for security and performance reasons alone).

FYI: We understand that Microsoft is planning a release of Edge for Windows 7 as well (I now assume the customer you refer to uses that as well); that might be a cost effective solution (not sure how they role it out). This new Edge will be based on a Chrome core and therefor will give a much better experience. As a company building Web Technology we try to benefit from the latest technology and hence it is very recommended to also stay up to date latest Chrome (soon there is an immediate benefit in Edge). Eg performance gain is huge if you stay current. 

Of course, we are happy to talk to your customer to provide more details.

Hope this extra insight helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Good news for Windows 7 Users still running Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft released Edge for it. So if you are bound by using a Microsoft browser and thus can’t use Chrome itself, this can be a good solution for you. It will also offer you a much better performance (it’s Chrome based underneath)!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

PS: This new Edge browser is available for all Windows versions!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi, @Gertjan.

Hi, @Gertjan.

Just to update you, I talked with the IT team from this specific customer and unfortunately they have no plans to upgrade IE11 to Edge or Chrome within Citrix, because it incurs additional costs.

I think, in short term, we won’t be able to use new releases of Aimms webUI there, right? Thanks!

Hi, @Gertjan.

Just to update this thread, I talked with the IT team and we found a workaround for it.

The problem was that, due to office license limitations, the users only needed Citrix to use Excel to mass edit our webUI table information. So, as of now/new aimms releases that do not support IE11, they will access our app through Chrome/Edge installed on their own machine, they will download the Excel, send it to Citrix and edit there. Problem solved.

Thanks!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching on our documentation pages:

AIMMS Developer & PRO | AIMMS How-To | AIMMS SC Navigator