This Q&A is dedicated for customers running AIMMS applications on AIMMS PRO installed on a Windows Server 2012. It is adjuscent to an e-mail we have sent inviting you to plan and perform your Windows upgrade.
Please read it carefully and do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com if you have any questions.
1. What is involved in a Windows server migration from 2012 to Windows Server 2019/2022?
A: A Windows server migration involves moving data, applications, and settings from the old server to the new server. This can include transferring files, databases, and user accounts, as well as configuring the new server to match the settings of the old server.
2. Why should I consider migrating from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2019/2022?
A: Windows Server 2019/2022 includes several new features and improvements, such as improved security, better performance, enhanced virtualization, and improved management. Additionally, Windows Server 2012 is approaching the end of its support lifecycle, which means that clients will no longer receive security updates or technical support from Microsoft and AIMMS.
3. How long does a Windows server migration typically take?
A: The time it takes to complete a Windows server migration can vary depending on the size and complexity of your environment. With simple setups and good preparation of the local IT expert it can take 2 hours per set up migration.
In situations with lost domain knowledge and higher level of set up complexity the migration can take days.
Yet, please know that we are here to support you and will make sure to help you minimize any downtime/lack of access to your resources.
4. What are some common challenges that can arise during a Windows server migration?
A: Common challenges during a Windows server migration can include issues like:
- Database connection issues or connection to external data resources;
- Access of users to the new URLs;
- Single sign on (passwordless) log on issues;
- Not knowing about other undocumented or specific local custom set up.
These issues are usually minimized by AIMMS due to our pre-migration questionnaire/preparation which helps us to better understand the customer’s set up.
5. How can I ensure a successful Windows server migration?
A: To ensure a successful Windows server migration, it is important to plan and prepare thoroughly, test the migration process in a non-production environment, respond to AIMMS Pre-migration questionnaire so that we can have a better understanding of your set up and create a backup and recovery plan in place in case of any issues.
6. Who needs to be involved in the process from your side?
It is strongly recommended to involve the following experts in the process:
- a qualified IT professional who knows (or can reverse engineer/troubleshoot) the existing PRO set up ;
- An app developer who knows the applications and can make minor changes and re-upload the apps if necessary;
- An end user who can test that the set up functions as expected after the migration process is completed;
The lack of any of the above parties may extend the migration process.
7. What will happen if I do not migrate my servers now?
AIMMS PRO will continue to work as is, but AIMMS will not support the platform. This means that we will not be able to assist you in case of issues, will not be able to assist you when you do upgrade, etc.
8. What is your responsibility as an AIMMS Client?
- Provide AIMMS with detailed information about your set up by responding to a questionnaire prepared by AIMMS. The question will enable us to better understand your current environment.
- Prepare your servers for migration by backing up the requiring data, having up to date SSL certificate, taking Screenshots of your environment and more as specified on the migration documentation which will be shared.
- Migrating your windows servers to the newer versions.
9. What is AIMMS responsibility?
- Provide the client with AIMMS PRO Migration questionnaire.
- Provide the client with AMMS PRO Migration plan/instructions.
- Provide technical assistance to the client when issues arise because of migration.
10. What is the cutoff date for the migration.
We are hoping to see all our clients migrate by November 15, 2023. We however advise that you start the migration process early.